Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Korean "Love Motel"

(Cue Thug Passion by Tupac Shakur.  WARNING: this song has content not suitable for all listeners—mainly my grandparents.)

           But, If you clicked the link than you’re now listening to track 6 (disk 2) from the album, All Eyez on Me.  Whenever I entered my “love motel” after work, track 6 naturally came to my mind, and I whispered the chorus with a smile.  There’s something about the song’s grittiness and suggestive lyrics that I saw duplicated in the “love motel”.  In an imaginary world, where Tupac is still alive and touring, he might have come to Korea and the “love motel” would have been the perfect venue for Tupac and his retinue to pause the tour, enjoy some Thug Passion, and make use of the red-light setting.
In fact, I only found out that there was a red-light setting after eight days of “love motel” living.  For me, the most that ever came from the red-light was a giggle and then a switch back to the normal light setting.  However, I understood the “love motel” a little bit better that day: I knew the red-light setting wasn’t for developing photos.  I better understood why they called the establishment a “love motel” and not just a motel.  So, if you haven’t already, pour yourself “one part Alizé, one part Cristal” (that’s a Thug Passion) because I will now take you on a tour of the South Korean “love motel”…
           Based on this article, the “love motel” became popular in the 1980s especially because of the Seoul 1988 Olympic Games.  The “love motel” charged by the hour, rather than by the night, so this attracted the kind of clientele that led to the moniker, “love motel”.  Prostitution is illegal in Korea, so not all of the temporary tenants are in the service industry; according to the article there are a fair amount of people who actually enjoy travelling and staying in “love motels”…
I believe that high school students are the prominent residents of “love motels”:  in Korea, high school students sometimes have to live in hostels or motels during the week because their high schools are far away from their homes.  (They will only go home on the weekends and holidays; that’s the price they pay for such educational competition.) 
           My room at the “love motel” (which, I think, cost less than $40 a night) opened up to a small hallway: on my left was the bedroom and on my right was the bathroom; both were impeccably clean when I first arrived.  In the hallway, the first thing any visitor would notice would be a pair of sandals; Koreans take their shoes at the entrance.  (I think this is practiced throughout Asia, but I certainly made the faux pas of forgetting to take off my shoes several times before I got comfy with the “love motel” sandals.)
The bathroom had a Western toilet (no squatty potty), a sink, and a bathtub (even the bathroom in my apartment doesn’t have a tub.)  The bathroom offered toothpaste, soap, and towels—definitely accommodating.  And the bedroom had all the amenities of hotels I’d been accustom to back home: air conditioning, window with curtains, cable television with VCR, refrigerator & freezer, telephone, cups, hair dryer, etc.  Should you find yourself in a “love motel” you should, however, bring your own sheets (the “love motel” didn’t have sheets) and bring a clock (the “love motel” charges by the hour so the less you know about the time, the better).
           Actually, the worst part about my “love motel” was that it was a mile from the school, which had nothing to do with the quality of the motel itself.  My second day in Korea I got picked up from the “love motel” in a car, but after that…I walked…and sweated my ass off.  Sometimes when I left for work it was 33 degrees Celsius (almost 90 degrees Fahrenheit), with around 90% humidity or higher; and I always wore my khakis and a polo shirt.  Those were a very VERY sweaty two weeks.
           In a lot of ways the “love motel” is like Tupac: both are misunderstood.  I listen to Tupac because I appreciate his honest raps.  I know it’s not for everyone, but Tupac suits me fine.  So does the “love motel”: I lived very comfortably for two weeks for less than $500 (the case would not be the same at a hotel—even a motel—in the states).  The “love motel” may be associated with prostitution and adultery, but despite that, the only glimpse I got of anything illicit or seedy were some soft-core VHS tapes in the lobby.  I’m sure people come to “love motels”, with the intention of turning on the red-light, but it’s a hush-hush deal.  While I stayed at the “love motel” it was eerily quiet, despite its reputation, and the parking lot purposely covered up license plates from peering passerbys.
           I hope you have enjoyed your tour of the “love motel” and that you’re ready for your second Thug Passion—really, the beverage is quite complimentary to your “love motel” stay: If you drink enough of them, than you may find that your “love motel” bears a striking resemblance to a Hilton. Unfortunately, there are no complimentary hors d'oeuvres…just a free red-light setting and a much cheaper bill.

3 comments:

  1. I heard it's the bomb, you got something goin' on, gimme some of that THUuuuuG PASSSSSION baby!
    Gotta love the classic Tupac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whomever commented before me, sounds exactly like Sugnasty singing in her car. I put the song on for Mom & Dad so they could match the beginning to your introduction...Mom didn't like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never stayed in anything but a love motel in Korea. I don't think they gave me an hourly rate, though, since they always charged at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete